An important part of any project involving Treated Pine, is identifying its Type and level of Treatment. This is necessary for many reasons, including; painting, gluing, correctly resealing cut ends and more importantly ensuring you have chosen the right timber for the job.
Identifying Treatment Types
The timber supplied from the Log Factory will generally be treated with either a CCA or a LOSP treatment. You will need to correctly determine your Treatment Type for two reasons. Firstly to ensure your maintain your warranty in the case of LOSP timbers that must be painted and secondly to establish what type of paint to use.
Click here for more information about types.
Tips to help you Identify the Treatment type:
- All Pre-primed, smooth finished (DAR), finger jointed products are LOSP Treated
- Most wide boards including 240x45mm and 290x45mm are LOSP treated
- LOSP Treatment is solvent based and thus has a slight solvent odour.
- LOSP Treatment (prior to painting) has a slippery or oily feel.
- CCA Treatment is water based, and whilst it may have a very slight odour, it is not solvent-like.
- LOSP Treatment is not available as a H4 level (Only H1, H2 or H3)
Identifying Treatment Levels
In most cases your timber will be treated to a H3 or H4 level. H3 is for exterior above-ground applications, H4 is for exterior in-ground applications. You will need to correctly determine your Treatment level for two reasons. Firstly to ensure you have chosen the right timber treatment level for the job and secondly to establish which type of chemical resealing compound is required to reseal any cuts you have made.
Click here for more information about levels.
Tips to help you Identify the treatment level:
- The level of treatment will be detailed on your final invoice from The Log Factory (not the email confirmation)
- Most landscaping products such as Logs and Sleepers will be Treated to a H4 level.
- Most F7 Lasercut (Rougher Headed) products are treated to a H3 level
- Look for the branding marks/label at the ends of your timber
- Landscaping products will always be branded on one end (& most of the time to H4)
- Structural timber products may be not be branded because it is often difficult to obtain certain lengths of timber, in which case the branding may not appear on the length delivered. We will reseal any such cuts prior to dispatch.